Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 22 November 2017, 13:37:56 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: 1 [2]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Speeding Up the Computer  (Read 4919 times)
another illiterate
« Reply #15 on: 18 February 2001, 11:26:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I've checked under the C:\windows\temporary internet subdirectory and have found a large number of files. These look like various sites visited on the net. Curious:

Why are these files retained? Any significant purpose but to clutter the hard drive?

When trying to delete these files, it will not let me do a mass deletion.  Is this normal? It will allow me to do a few at a
time.  Seems strange. Any insight/guidance?

Help appreciated.

Stefan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 February 2001, 12:54:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

> Why are these files retained?
So that you do not need to download them again next time you visit the page, but if you visit pages like the expatboard that is not so smart, so depending on how you have setup your internet options the files will be used in different ways.
Look in control panel internet options/ general/temporary internet files/
(this is for win2000 not sure if it is the same on win95/win98/winMe/Nt but it should be simmilar). There you should have a delete files button that will remove all your saved files.
On settings you should be abel to set how much disk space to allocate for saved files and set a option specifying if a page should be downloaded or taken from the saved files on your disk. It is called "Check for newer version of stored pages", depending on how you surf and what kind of internet connection you have choose a appropriate setting.

Hope it helps!

thanks
« Reply #17 on: 18 February 2001, 13:02:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Stefan,

thanks.

Computerilliterate
« Reply #18 on: 19 February 2001, 8:41:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I also tried doing this at work since I use a number of websites there. Unbelievable how many pages stack up in there!
Maren

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 February 2001, 9:20:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

hey, don't scare me! I have just converted from 'regular' PacNet to Broadband but I have not bought the modem yet. (Will do it this week) I hope they are not THAT bad with their braodband access?Huh
Rob

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 February 2001, 9:31:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Just got my SCV broadband connection. SO far, excellent. The speed does vary a bit, but local sites remain very fast, so I assume that the bottleneck is the connection from Singapore to the rest of the world rather than the SCV connection to my house
Pages: 1 [2]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: