Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 23 May 2018, 17:12:32 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help! About Silver Amalgam Removal [Important]  (Read 13318 times)
JaneO

View Profile
« on: 21 February 2010, 0:12:53 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for help and advices here, after happened to chance upon a source of information on the horrible negative effects of the amalgam filling in our tooth, I've decided to have them remove/replace. The thing is I'm just absolutely shock at the ill-informed locals/dentists here in Singapore and I'm hoping that if anyone here in the forum have had the experience in amalgam removal to help me suggest a good dentist that actually take the necessary precautions and procedure to remove the fillings (not just drill them out like how its put in to our mouth earlier).

Please share... I'm really looking forward for some honest opinion on this issue.

Thank you,
Jane

Singapore Dentist
« Reply #1 on: 21 February 2010, 1:41:37 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Dear Jane,

The only way to remove dental amalgams is to drill them out. If you had some other technique or method in mind, please elaborate.

Trying To Help
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2010, 9:58:11 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Dear Jane,

Forget the fillings. What you really need, urgently, is some instruction in correct grammar. Suggest you get some lessons to replace the cotton wool between your ears before dealing with the metal in your mouth.

Hope this helps.

fareastjunebug

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2010, 10:08:13 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Dear Jane,

The only way to remove dental amalgams is to drill them out. If you had some other technique or method in mind, please elaborate.

Extract the tooth?   Grin

Do or do not, there is no try.
Jaws
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2010, 11:12:04 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Dear Jane,

Extract the tooth?   Grin

what about some giant magnet kind of thing - like the ones they use to lift up cars in wrecking yards.

If I hear of a decent wrecking yard near here Jane, I'll let you know  Wink
don'tdrill
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2010, 14:37:42 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

you need to have them x-rayed first to see how deep etc they are - they can do damage if they just start drilling. Good luck, mecury causes all sorts of problems and it's good to have them removed.
JaneO

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 February 2010, 20:35:42 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

you need to have them x-rayed first to see how deep etc they are - they can do damage if they just start drilling. Good luck, mecury causes all sorts of problems and it's good to have them removed.

Thank you for taking the effort to reply, and yes I've already been told on that, may I ask if you got them removed in singapore?
JaneO

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 February 2010, 20:42:46 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The issue with amalgam is debatable.  You won't find many dentists (Singapore, Canada, USA, etc) who believe there is a problem with them.

If you really want them out, you'll need to have them drilled out in the normal fashion.  That isn't any worse than any other way in terms of mercury.   And you'll have to decide what you want to replace them with.  This is an expensive process.  I used gold on my back teeth - you can't really see it and gold will last the rest of my life.  My amalgams have all been removed.

In the meantime, you might limit your intake of seafood (another regular source of mercury).   You'll always be exposed to environmental hazards of this sort, though.  The compact florescent bulbs so common here have mercury in them.  It's sealed, of course, but they do break.  

Thank you scarbowl, yes i've been doing extensive research on the issue but my main problem is that there seem to be a standard protocol to follow for the fillings to be removed if i'm not wrong, but when i brought them up to some of the local dentists they seem absolutely not aware of it... I'm guessing you did not have yours removed in singapore? If not, I would really like to have the contact to your dentist? I'm in the process to seek more opinions before finding one that I'm confortable with to proceed with the procedure.

Anyway, thank you very much for the input.
« Last Edit: 21 February 2010, 20:44:59 PM by JaneO » Logged
Singapore Dentist
« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2010, 23:37:28 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thank you scarbowl, yes i've been doing extensive research on the issue but my main problem is that there seem to be a standard protocol to follow for the fillings to be removed if i'm not wrong, but when i brought them up to some of the local dentists they seem absolutely not aware of it... I'm guessing you did not have yours removed in singapore? If not, I would really like to have the contact to your dentist? I'm in the process to seek more opinions before finding one that I'm confortable with to proceed with the procedure.

Jane O,

If you wish to have them removed, the main thing is to have good suction during the removal. This is because there will be mercury vapour forming as the filling is removed, and it is in vapour form that it will most easily enter your bloodstream. Since dentists generally have good suction units, it shouldn't be an issue.

I would like to comment on your "extensive research". For most people, this means "extensive Googling". You'll read articles and opinions of someone who has written things in layman's terms, and skipped a lot of information. That is not real research. Real in depth research for medical issues involves reading medical journals and publications which contain serious studies and information.

If you doubt me, I bring your attention to "Lorenzo's Oil", a movie based on a true story where the parents developed their own cure for their child's "untreatable" brain disorder They did real research- they read proper medical texts and journals.

To me, this is what research means.

Aim: organise a study to see if people with amalgam fillings causes any disease.

You have 100 people who have amalgam fillings, and 100 who do not have amalgam fillings. You then monitor these people for a number of years and compare the number of people with whichever disease from each group.
(ideally the more the better, some studies have thousands of people)

OR

You'll test for a particular disease and the study is to see if amalgam is a contributing factor. Again you'll take as many people as you can, then look for things each person has contributing to the disease.

In all situations when these studies have been done, there is no link between amalgam and whatever disease. That is why universities still teach students that amalgam is safe to use.

If one were to extensively research amalgam and possibly toxicity, one would need to peruse these research articles. If you did, and then you decided the study had flaws, then you could say there was a problem.

Otherwise it's really a case of one person's word or belief (your's)against someone else's (the dentist).

As the saying goes- It takes a tonne of fact to overcome an ounce of opinion.
jalanperak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2010, 9:39:35 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I would like to comment on your "extensive research". For most people, this means "extensive Googling". You'll read articles and opinions of someone who has written things in layman's terms, and skipped a lot of information. That is not real research. Real in depth research for medical issues involves reading medical journals and publications which contain serious studies and information.

I smiled when I read this :-)

Others
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2010, 20:30:44 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

There are local dentists who do remove amalgam. You need to search hard and ask for recommendations. Try asking recommendations from Naturopaths.  They were the ones who diagnose for my friends when they suffered from health problems due to amalgam fillings.  Some people are ultra sensitive to this.

My friends have done it for the same reasons as OP.  I'm thinking of removing amalgam fillings, too.  However, they haven't bothered me so far.
My two cents
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2010, 21:58:33 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi Jane,

I got a mouth full of silver fillings in middle school. Soon after, I developed a condition my doctor diagnosed as neural dermatitis. Only when I went to grad school that I learned the fillings are an alloy of silver and mercury. I was pretty shocked because they'll call in the HazMat folks if a mercury thermometer breaks in a laboratory but they'll put these in your mouth! I got my dentist to replace all of them (over a one year period) with composite fillings. I never mentioned my concerns over mercury because I knew he would refuse to do it for that reason (he became very defensive when I mentioned mercury once). Instead, I said I didn't like the way the silver fillings looked. For that reason, he strongly recommended it. Anyway, the neural dermatitis was gone within a year and so were recurring headaches. You might think the whole episode is psychological but I had these conditions diagnosed for years before I even learned about the mercury in fillings. I saw several physicians and none of them could come up with a cause. I've been healthy ever since.
JaneO

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 February 2010, 22:32:44 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Jane O,

If you wish to have them removed, the main thing is to have good suction during the removal. This is because there will be mercury vapour forming as the filling is removed, and it is in vapour form that it will most easily enter your bloodstream. Since dentists generally have good suction units, it shouldn't be an issue.

If you doubt me, I bring your attention to "Lorenzo's Oil", a movie based on a true story where the parents developed their own cure for their child's "untreatable" brain disorder They did real research- they read proper medical texts and journals.

To me, this is what research means.

Aim: organise a study to see if people with amalgam fillings causes any disease.

You have 100 people who have amalgam fillings, and 100 who do not have amalgam fillings. You then monitor these people for a number of years and compare the number of people with whichever disease from each group.
(ideally the more the better, some studies have thousands of people)

OR

You'll test for a particular disease and the study is to see if amalgam is a contributing factor. Again you'll take as many people as you can, then look for things each person has contributing to the disease.

In all situations when these studies have been done, there is no link between amalgam and whatever disease. That is why universities still teach students that amalgam is safe to use.

If one were to extensively research amalgam and possibly toxicity, one would need to peruse these research articles. If you did, and then you decided the study had flaws, then you could say there was a problem.

Otherwise it's really a case of one person's word or belief (your's)against someone else's (the dentist).

As the saying goes- It takes a tonne of fact to overcome an ounce of opinion.

Yes, I started off googling, like I said "extensive" and have spent lots of time in front of my computer because of it. But I did find medical journals and articles online as well, albeit only a few of them are openly available. That said, I'm also planning to go to the library to read up more. I probably knew what you were thinking, but I'm definitely not someone who goes paranoid about everything that I find online. There has been more than one episode of my health giving real troubles and when I try to recall everything that has happened, this amalgam, mercury poisoning symptoms fits... I am also not ruling out other environmental/lifestyle factors, however, many of my health problems happened after I've got my fillings. I may not be a doctor, but I have absolutely right to trust what my body tells me.

What you've been explaining might be all due to the fact that you think I am purely making my decision based on some googling facts, I know what research is and how to do one. Only probably not having a standard you practice though... If I have the fundings and time, I would advertise in the newspapers for volunteers and to set out a list of question I need to ask and analysis and draw a conclusion to it. But the fact is I'm not a certified researcher, nor am I someone who has studied long enough to do that, but the very obvious symptoms I've seen on my relatives,colleage  and my own father is enough an evidence for me. Of course, in the meantime I'm still doing more to back myself up. Who would want to go through the trouble of removing and filling their teeth only to realise that it is not the cause?

And I'm absolutely not up to the idea that amalgam fillings are safe, if they were safe, then why denmark and a few other countries banned it?

Also, it's may just be me, but I believe not everything that universities teach are 100% correct and by just saying amalgam is safe to use because dentist are taught so doesn't guarantee it is safe. Everything, by right, not matter how established it is, is still just opinions from people, if not many opinions from many people.

To end my reply, I only have one question for you, for all of these that you have wrote, will you give amalgam fillings to your children if you were to make a decision for them to have fillings in their teeth? Your answer should suffice to explain my need to remove my amalgam fillings, I wouldn't need to explain more.

Nevertheless, I appreciated your reply to my request. Point taken.
JaneO

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 February 2010, 22:41:06 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi Jane,

I got a mouth full of silver fillings in middle school. Soon after, I developed a condition my doctor diagnosed as neural dermatitis. Only when I went to grad school that I learned the fillings are an alloy of silver and mercury. I was pretty shocked because they'll call in the HazMat folks if a mercury thermometer breaks in a laboratory but they'll put these in your mouth! I got my dentist to replace all of them (over a one year period) with composite fillings. I never mentioned my concerns over mercury because I knew he would refuse to do it for that reason (he became very defensive when I mentioned mercury once). Instead, I said I didn't like the way the silver fillings looked. For that reason, he strongly recommended it. Anyway, the neural dermatitis was gone within a year and so were recurring headaches. You might think the whole episode is psychological but I had these conditions diagnosed for years before I even learned about the mercury in fillings. I saw several physicians and none of them could come up with a cause. I've been healthy ever since.

Hi, thank you for taking the time to write all these down, glad to know that you've gained better health, I'm definitely having mine removed, is a matter of only time. In the meantime, I'm trying to read as much as I can regarding this thing mercury, anything that i can understand. I also want to make sure there will be little post effect for my removal.

If possible can I ask how many amalgam fillings did you had and how long it's been with you before you took it out, and a few other question I have if you don't mind me asking and taking up your time. I would post the question if you were back to reply my current post.

Thank you once again for letting me know your problem. Appreciated it.
JaneO

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 February 2010, 22:51:57 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

There are local dentists who do remove amalgam. You need to search hard and ask for recommendations. Try asking recommendations from Naturopaths.  They were the ones who diagnose for my friends when they suffered from health problems due to amalgam fillings.  Some people are ultra sensitive to this.

My friends have done it for the same reasons as OP.  I'm thinking of removing amalgam fillings, too.  However, they haven't bothered me so far.

I believe all dentist will do it, but its a matter of them removing it in a way that will or will not cause more harm to yout body. I still have some time, will check them out. Thank you for the suggestion.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: