Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 23 May 2018, 17:33:13 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help! About Silver Amalgam Removal [Important]  (Read 13319 times)
Singapore Dentist
« Reply #15 on: 23 February 2010, 0:01:41 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yes, I started off googling, like I said "extensive" and have spent lots of time in front of my computer because of it. But I did find medical journals and articles online as well, albeit only a few of them are openly available. That said, I'm also planning to go to the library to read up more. I probably knew what you were thinking, but I'm definitely not someone who goes paranoid about everything that I find online. There has been more than one episode of my health giving real troubles and when I try to recall everything that has happened, this amalgam, mercury poisoning symptoms fits... I am also not ruling out other environmental/lifestyle factors, however, many of my health problems happened after I've got my fillings. I may not be a doctor, but I have absolutely right to trust what my body tells me.

To end my reply, I only have one question for you, for all of these that you have wrote, will you give amalgam fillings to your children if you were to make a decision for them to have fillings in their teeth? Your answer should suffice to explain my need to remove my amalgam fillings, I wouldn't need to explain more.

Nevertheless, I appreciated your reply to my request. Point taken.

The best libraries are medical libraries- those in universities which have libraries specifically for the Medcial faculty. The general library at the uni (NUS for Singapore) will not have the journals. There should be huge amounts of stuff there for you to read.

As for which filling would I want for my children, the answer is- not amalgam. This is the answer you would like to hear, but the reason is not the same as yours.

It's not because of the mercury, but because of appearance and increased decay resistance from one type of filling called glass ionomer cement. It can be used in conjunction with composite resin as well.

One further thing I'd like to say about amalgam.

People tend to focus on the mercury, and not on the overall material. It's important.

Let me give you an example.

Some people may know that Hydrogen gas is explosive. That's why they use helium for floating balloons, not hydrogen.

The best known example of the explosive properties of hydrogen involves a zepplin in the 1930's called the Hindenberg (burg?) Due to an embargo on helium by the USA, Germany was forced to use hydrogen. It flew from Germany to the US. As it touched down, a spark ignited it and resulted in a massive fireball which destroyed it.

So it's a fair bet no one here would willingly breath in hydrogen.

Why am I talking about it?

Because when it's combined with oxygen, it becomes water- H2O, which is essential for life.

So when one element is combined with another, you get different properties.

Is there anyone here who would refuse to drink water because they may explode?

$Pripps
« Reply #16 on: 23 February 2010, 1:13:14 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

And I'm absolutely not up to the idea that amalgam fillings are safe, if they were safe, then why denmark and a few other countries banned it?

maybe there are other factors involved, like lobbying dentists for one - since amalgam is the cheapest material wouldn't it be swell if everybody got them replaced?

ormaybe
« Reply #17 on: 23 February 2010, 16:46:28 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

And I'm absolutely not up to the idea that amalgam fillings are safe, if they were safe, then why denmark and a few other countries banned it?
maybe there are other factors involved, like lobbying dentists for one - since amalgam is the cheapest material wouldn't it be swell if everybody got them replaced?

Or maybe they are just not safe.  Grin  Or wouldn't it be great if they told the truth that they are not safe and every-one asked for compensation from dentists.
Singapore Dentist
« Reply #18 on: 23 February 2010, 17:51:47 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Or maybe they are just not safe.  Grin  Or wouldn't it be great if they told the truth that they are not safe and every-one asked for compensation from dentists.

"if they told the truth"

We have told the truth.

Because a substance is dangerous in one form does not mean it is dangerous when combined in another. Please refer to my comparison with hydrogen and water above.

There are other metal alloys out there which can be used as fillings. For example, gold alloy and gallium alloy. Strictly speaking, if any of those elements got into your bloodstream in their pure form in any concentration, you'd not be having a good time. But when combined with other elements, they form an inert substance.

Dental amalgam has become the most commonplace metallic filling due to low cost and relative easy of placement compared to the other two. It is not due to a toxicity issue, as there is none when in alloy form.
Are you serious
« Reply #19 on: 23 February 2010, 18:11:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Of course dentists will take great delight in removing your amalgam fillings and replacing with a similarly toxic alternative.

I suggest you just get all your teeth pulled out and be done with it.
In your next life...
« Reply #20 on: 23 February 2010, 18:32:17 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

...be like me, 36 years old with perfect teeth.  Never had a cavity or a filling.

I'mADentist !!
« Reply #21 on: 23 February 2010, 19:45:51 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hello all

Ive just been reading through this thread, and am concerned with all the 'advice' and 'research' floating around. PLEASE consult a professional rather than making a decision yourself.

I am a dentist, currently practicing here (wont mention where!)

Here are the facts:

1. There is no PROVEN evidence that mercury is harmful in fillings
2. The amount of mercury in fillings is minute, its only in much larger quantitites that it COULD have unwanted effects on a very small population of susceptible individuals
3. However, it is increasingly common for patients to be concerened, and for a number of reasons, to request removal of amalgam from their teeth
4. If that is what you want, then the most important thing is to ensure that a RUBBER DAM is used during removal. This is a usually a green colourd square piece of rubber that is attached to the tooth using a clamp. It collects the amalgam that is drilled out of the tooth, so that it is not ingested by the patient. It is also vital to make sure that a good suction unit is catching the other fragments, rather than being swallowed. Although, it is unlikely that anything drastic will happen if a bit of filling gets swallowed!

Hope that helps your decision
It's JaneO here
« Reply #22 on: 23 February 2010, 23:05:05 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yes, I started off googling, like I said "extensive" and have spent lots of time in front of my computer because of it. But I did find medical journals and articles online as well, albeit only a few of them are openly available. That said, I'm also planning to go to the library to read up more. I probably knew what you were thinking, but I'm definitely not someone who goes paranoid about everything that I find online. There has been more than one episode of my health giving real troubles and when I try to recall everything that has happened, this amalgam, mercury poisoning symptoms fits... I am also not ruling out other environmental/lifestyle factors, however, many of my health problems happened after I've got my fillings. I may not be a doctor, but I have absolutely right to trust what my body tells me.

To end my reply, I only have one question for you, for all of these that you have wrote, will you give amalgam fillings to your children if you were to make a decision for them to have fillings in their teeth? Your answer should suffice to explain my need to remove my amalgam fillings, I wouldn't need to explain more.

Nevertheless, I appreciated your reply to my request. Point taken.

The best libraries are medical libraries- those in universities which have libraries specifically for the Medcial faculty. The general library at the uni (NUS for Singapore) will not have the journals. There should be huge amounts of stuff there for you to read.

As for which filling would I want for my children, the answer is- not amalgam. This is the answer you would like to hear, but the reason is not the same as yours.

It's not because of the mercury, but because of appearance and increased decay resistance from one type of filling called glass ionomer cement. It can be used in conjunction with composite resin as well.

One further thing I'd like to say about amalgam.

People tend to focus on the mercury, and not on the overall material. It's important.

Let me give you an example.

Some people may know that Hydrogen gas is explosive. That's why they use helium for floating balloons, not hydrogen.

The best known example of the explosive properties of hydrogen involves a zepplin in the 1930's called the Hindenberg (burg?) Due to an embargo on helium by the USA, Germany was forced to use hydrogen. It flew from Germany to the US. As it touched down, a spark ignited it and resulted in a massive fireball which destroyed it.

So it's a fair bet no one here would willingly breath in hydrogen.

Why am I talking about it?

Because when it's combined with oxygen, it becomes water- H2O, which is essential for life.

So when one element is combined with another, you get different properties.

Is there anyone here who would refuse to drink water because they may explode?

Then can you answer these questions of mine as well? What is mercury, how exactly does it behaves and if combining them with other silver or other matters such as copper, tin or etc will remove it's toxicity at all? Can you answer that? Can you be sure?
JaneO again
« Reply #23 on: 23 February 2010, 23:37:24 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hello all

Ive just been reading through this thread, and am concerned with all the 'advice' and 'research' floating around. PLEASE consult a professional rather than making a decision yourself.

Here are the facts:

2. The amount of mercury in fillings is minute, its only in much larger quantitites that it COULD have unwanted effects on a very small population of susceptible individuals
3. However, it is increasingly common for patients to be concerened, and for a number of reasons, to request removal of amalgam from their teeth
4. If that is what you want, then the most important thing is to ensure that a RUBBER DAM is used during removal. This is a usually a green colourd square piece of rubber that is attached to the tooth using a clamp. It collects the amalgam that is drilled out of the tooth, so that it is not ingested by the patient. It is also vital to make sure that a good suction unit is catching the other fragments, rather than being swallowed. Although, it is unlikely that anything drastic will happen if a bit of filling gets swallowed!

Thank you, appreciated it. However, I would also like to add that no proven evidence merely only indicates that there are no actual findings (on papers) which can be interpreted in my way such as things are happening but it's just not recorded. Furthermore scientists themselves are over throwing old theories for new ones everyday and how can something which are believed by most people at a certain point of time an absolute conclusion? This is also particularly why I created a thread here because I want to hear opinions, nevermind if they are the ones that I intended to hear or not. World has taught me well to doubt about all things and having people come in to express their personal view will at least give me a good guage.
dentistintransit
« Reply #24 on: 24 February 2010, 1:08:06 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

To 'Singapore Dentist'

A bit off the topic, but am thinking of moving over soon, and looking for associate positions as a dentist (currently in practice in the UK)......could you kindly tell me, am I able to work on a dependant pass, and what income is a full time asscociate looking at?

Many thanks!
$Pripps
« Reply #25 on: 24 February 2010, 12:02:47 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hello all

Here are the facts:

Thank you, appreciated it. However, I would also like to add that no proven evidence merely only indicates that there are no actual findings (on papers) which can be interpreted in my way such as things are happening but it's just not recorded.

What would be interesting to know is the amount of mercury that is leaked from amalgam fillings compared to all the mercury we get throughout the day. I have hunch that we get more mercury from other sources like food than from the fillings.

From the perspective of a dentist I would imagine they would love to replace all amalgam fillings with fillings that are less durable and/or more expensive. It would actually be in their interest to spread some FUD about amalgam (yes I am being a bit unfair here, sorry dentists).

That said, why don't you just replace your fillings if you believe they are harmful. I personally will not replace mine because IMHO it's a waste of time and money.
DontDoIt
« Reply #26 on: 24 February 2010, 19:05:37 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

To 'dentistintransit'

Sorry to interfere, but I wouldnt advise posting your email address on here.........I did it once, and was inundated with, shall we say, dodgy emails, so I had to cancel the email address and set up a new one.

Juat thought I should warn you......
briggs123

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 February 2010, 9:33:30 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi there ; Grin

I have just had two Amalgam filling's replaced here in Singapore. Lovely dentist did all the xray's et first.
Dr Eileen Neo at Atria Pan Dental Orchard.

She fully discussed with me,her reasons, and I knew already from my Uk Dentist that these Amalgams did need replacing... ;
$
« Reply #28 on: 25 February 2010, 9:52:01 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

How much did it cost you per filling at Atria Pan? Hope it didn't cost a bomb.
DoNotDoThis
« Reply #29 on: 27 February 2010, 22:37:12 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I had some similar advice to remove such fillings. However, it caused more trouble than its worth. Once the fillings had been drilled out and replaced I had 3 teeth crack which gave me no option but to crown them. Along the way one tooth completely gave way and not even a crown could fix it. Now Im left with no amalgam fillings but with a tooth missing 2 additional crowns and a band on one tooth which has cracked and may or may not be able to be crowned.

I wish I had listened to my mother. If its not painful don't mess with it. Pain is the only warning sign you should listen to.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: