Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 22 November 2017, 13:21:11 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Info on ROM here in Singapore  (Read 3426 times)
Yasmin
« on: 08 November 2000, 4:29:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi I just got news that my EP application has been rejected. And I'm really hoping to relocate here in Singapore because my partner is local and a student. Does anyone know if there are restrictions in the matter of marrying to a local? What are the limitation of the period of stay in this country. Because i understand that in cases of marriage between a Singaporean with a foreign national, the Local will act as a sponser and he need a certain monthly income to qualify as a sponser (which he can't for now). Is this true? Any views and advice would be helpful.

million Thanks

PhilM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2000, 8:53:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yasmin - you are correct about the income requirements for your local partner. I would advise you that in the circumstances referring to your relationship in your application may work against you. I know this seems unfair but the authorities would expect your partner to be in a position to support you himself if he is to sponsor you.

You do not say what your qualifications are or what type of work you are applying for. To be successful you will preferably need to meet two criteria - have a degree, and to be able to offer skills which are not readily available locally. Your best course of action is to first find a Company which wants to employ you, and then to get their HR department to make the application on your behalf.

As the father of three daughters forgive me if I offer a little personal advice. Do your homework first before you decide to move here. With your partner being a student you will need to consider if the two of you can afford the everyday costs of living together such as housing, utilities, food, etc. I fully understand your desire to be with the person you love, but consider if it is better to wait until your partner has finished his studies. Good luck to the pair of you.

yasmin
« Reply #2 on: 09 November 2000, 1:35:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi PhilM
Thanks for the advice, I think i better consider setting myself up for a few more interview. Hopefully it could turn out better then the last EP rejection. Phil, I don't have a degree but a Junior colleage Certificate. I have 5 years of experience in A/S freight company. Last application was a rather small scale company, maybe partly explain why my EP was turn down. will it make a difference if i request for a face to face interview with Immigrations or just engage a legal firm to make the application. I learnt that my last application was done using a legal firm here, i had a job agency to set me up for a couple of interviews.

I appreciate your kind personal advice. It serves as a thinker for our current situation
but if i could be able to get my EP, and in worst cases, our contingency plan is to crash at his place. Not so bad considering the amount of money we spent on IDD monthly.

PhilM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2000, 13:18:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yasmin,

I have met Ex Pats here working for Freight Forwarding and Shipping Companies. Most of them have been from the country where the head office of the firm is based.

Your best bet is to find which Freight Forwarding and Shipping Companies in your own Country have branches here, or arrangements with local Companies. You could then apply directly for the job in your Country and get them to sponsor you to work here in the local office.

If you are going to approach a local Company you will need to be able to offer over and above the skills a Singaporean applicant could. For example if you speak Arabic, Farsi, etc. you would be able to help the Company do business in the Middle East. To identify local companies go to the web site below, look under product Verticals and click Freight Forwarding. http://www.thegreenbook.com/

Kind Regards

yasmin
« Reply #4 on: 09 November 2000, 22:54:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Phil,

Thanks alot for everything. Really thank you so much. wish me better luck on my next try.

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: