Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 22 September 2017, 5:20:31 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: 1 [2]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: teaching at an international school in singapore?  (Read 12633 times)
amused
« Reply #15 on: 05 October 2010, 15:41:16 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I didn't say everyone teaching in international schools have honours degrees, but many do. In fact, a large number of my colleauges have masters degrees and a few have PhD's... I've never met anyone teaching without a bachelor's degree at the minimum. The ESL teachers (or other languages) sometimes only have a teaching certificate instead of formal teacher training, but they still need a degree to be registered. Even then the MOE will only register them to teach in that specific area.

The issue I was pointing out was that  the PP had said "many" schools hire teachers without a degree at all, or just some teaching experience in lieu of an ESL certificate - and then cover this up by lying on their websites - which just isn't true.

Lyn Machado
« Reply #16 on: 01 April 2016, 17:10:24 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi, I am a Business degree holder interested in a teaching career.  I possess a DP Visa living in SG for the past 3 years. I have been trying to enrol myself in one of the Government run institutions for a 1 year (or less) Diploma (or Post Grad) Programme in Education.  Unfortunately I am told that these programmes are available only to Singaporeans and PRs and the ones which are open to foreigners are either part time which means the classes are conducted on weekends or they are long duration courses for more than 1 year.  I am also told that these courses are not recognized outside Singapore and is useful for employment in local schools only.  As the labour laws are very strict in SG and there is a quota for employing foreigners, I can only apply to international schools for an opening. Any suggestions with regards to the best education Diploma globally and/or locally recognized, University and any other useful information will be highly appreciated.  Many thanks in advance
Pages: 1 [2]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: