Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 13 December 2017, 7:45:35 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Singtel bill unpaid - what repercussions?  (Read 19514 times)
chit chatter
« on: 23 March 2011, 9:31:16 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I left Singapore about 8 months ago now, and thought I had dealt with all my bills and cancelled all my accounts.

I've just found all my final bills (I really am a responsible citizen, honest - I even keep my old accounts/bills) and noticed there is no closing account for my singtel mobile. I've just logged in to Singtel online and see that I have indeed, not paid it. The bill is over $1000 now and the account suspended (not surprisingly).

What is the best way to deal with this from overseas? I will be going back to Singapore in the future, though will not ever live there again, but I would really prefer not to worry about a scene at Changi airport.

I am not going to run away from this. It really was a genuine mistake, so please hold off on the bashing. I just want to know how to close the account and pay the bill from overseas.

dssdas
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2011, 9:56:13 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I left Singapore about 8 months ago now, and thought I had dealt with all my bills and cancelled all my accounts.

I've just found all my final bills (I really am a responsible citizen, honest - I even keep my old accounts/bills) and noticed there is no closing account for my singtel mobile. I've just logged in to Singtel online and see that I have indeed, not paid it. The bill is over $1000 now and the account suspended (not surprisingly).

What is the best way to deal with this from overseas? I will be going back to Singapore in the future, though will not ever live there again, but I would really prefer not to worry about a scene at Changi airport.

I am not going to run away from this. It really was a genuine mistake, so please hold off on the bashing. I just want to know how to close the account and pay the bill from overseas.

i never paid my cell phone bills in germany (lol) because they tricked me, like all salesman, they are thieves and took advantage of my lack of understanding of german. its been like 4-5 years now and i havent had any bother, nor am i going to return to germany

i cant tell you about the procedures of paying your bills, but here is my 5 pence worth, pay that outstanding bill, singapore is a nice place and im sure you will want to return
small fib
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2011, 13:00:01 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You could contact them, tell them that you wrote to them back whenever it was that you left, and had assumed they'd cancelled your account.  If you're lucky, they'll take the bill back to whatever it was when you left and you may just be able to pay what you owed back then.

try this
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2011, 15:07:57 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

if you are married you could open a new account in your partners name? that is the easiest way out
$Pripps
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2011, 15:50:25 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You could also take the unconventional approach of just telling them truth and ask them for a bill that you can pay. I think they would pleased getting the money vs not getting anything at all; case closed.
Mr Amazing
« Reply #5 on: 24 March 2011, 0:50:58 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The ICA database at Changi immigration does not flag unpaid phone bills. Could you imagine the amount of data they would have to hold, the expense etc? Being in debt is not a crime in Singapore unless you have not paid taxes. You can come and go as you please and no one would know or be able to stop you.
Bashed anyway
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2011, 2:39:43 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

OP,

You get bashed anyway.

Firstly you should be posting your message in Singtels email instead of on this board if you are really interested in paying

Secondly you can pay the bill as you always have...by bank transfer

Case is most likely you thought you could sneek out of Singapore with an unpaid phone bill. Now you have the chance to come back and you are scared this debt is going to hunt you.

There are some pretty nifty and helpful replies in this thread.
Of course non of them you could have come up with yourself?
LR6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2011, 7:03:23 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Why don't you call singtel and paid it off via paypal ? I do not think Singtel is that unforgiving if you want to settle your arrears. BTW it will not have any effect on returning to SG. The only thing I can think of is you cannot open Singtel account if you do not settle your debt.
chit chatter
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2011, 9:11:44 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thank you for the helpful responses.

As I said already, I do intend to deal with this, but just thought I'd drop a line here and see if anyone else had been through this before...

To: bashed anyway - I have ties to Singapore, but (as I already said) I will not be going back to live there. There was not a sudden realisation that I will one day enter Changi airport again, but thank you for your soap box assumptions. I can only assume you have never moved overseas before and do not realise that settling accounts on phones, cars, cable, utilities, insurances, gym memberships, schools (and all the rest of it) means that it is very easy to overlook something. I think in the circumstances, just forgetting a phone bill was pretty good!

Anyway, I called Singtel this morning and they are quite happy for me to make online payments to settle the bill. No threats or nastiness, no real issue. In fact, the guy on the phone called it a "small outstanding amount" and said I'd need to settle it before re-opening the line or getting a new one in future. Not a big deal.

So it will be sorted by the end of the day, and case closed.

Thanks again everyone.
Ezeee
« Reply #9 on: 12 July 2017, 17:37:43 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thank you for the helpful responses.

As I said already, I do intend to deal with this, but just thought I'd drop a line here and see if anyone else had been through this before...

To: bashed anyway - I have ties to Singapore, but (as I already said) I will not be going back to live there. There was not a sudden realisation that I will one day enter Changi airport again, but thank you for your soap box assumptions. I can only assume you have never moved overseas before and do not realise that settling accounts on phones, cars, cable, utilities, insurances, gym memberships, schools (and all the rest of it) means that it is very easy to overlook something. I think in the circumstances, just forgetting a phone bill was pretty good!

Anyway, I called Singtel this morning and they are quite happy for me to make online payments to settle the bill. No threats or nastiness, no real issue. In fact, the guy on the phone called it a "small outstanding amount" and said I'd need to settle it before re-opening the line or getting a new one in future. Not a big deal.

So it will be sorted by the end of the day, and case closed.

Thanks again everyone.

MR/MS. CHIT CHATTER,

MAY I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR UNPAID SINGTEL BILL BEFORE? WHAT DID YOU DO?!? I AM IN THE SAME SITUATION LIKE YOURS NOW. PLS. ADVISE. THANKS!
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: