Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 21 September 2014, 3:58:59 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: UK Passport Renewal  (Read 8419 times)
Col Mainwaring
« on: 07 May 2011, 14:28:13 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi All, Need to renew my British passport and the whole process of sending it off from Singapore for weeks on end is simply too inconvenient, as I travel for business constantly.

Looking at having the renewal done back in blighty while there this Summer. The (UK) online IPS application form is for UK residents only. the system advises that I use a form picked up from a Post Office (in UK) instead. The question is, can I, as a UK citizen living in Singapore, put my Singapore address on the application form from the Post Office in the UK, or will this cause problems with the application? I am resident in Singapore and have been for years and do not maintain a UK address. The plan is to fill out the form, make an appointment and go in person to the Passport Office in London, pay loadsa money for a Premium application and leave with the passport within 4 hours (at least that is what I have gleaned can be done from the website)?

Please share your experience, as I am sure that there are many others in the same boat.

Thanks in advance.

Col M
ExpatSingapore Message Board
« on: 07 May 2011, 14:28:13 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

chilli hot pepper

gimme some H2o

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2011, 14:55:30 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You can send to Hong Kong British Consulate for a speedier service. Check out their website and give them a call. You may be able to urgently travel on an emergency travel document for 5 trips until your passport is renewed.
http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/
« Last Edit: 07 May 2011, 15:06:00 PM by chilli hot pepper » Logged
well
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2011, 18:02:19 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I had mine renewed at the British Consulate/Embassy.
Had it done there twice now iirc.
well
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2011, 18:03:48 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Ref above.
The Consulate/Embassy in Singapore that is.
Well well well
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2011, 21:19:31 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

That was then , this is now. Cost-cutting, so everything has to go to HK. That well-known ex bit of the Empire!
both ways
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2011, 9:12:42 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

have done it here and popped all my stuff into the envelopes provided at the petrol station, it's really easy but takes forever - mine took 3 1/2 weeks to come back.

have also done it at the PP office in London, a friend picked up the forms, and i was told not to put my singapore address on it, so put friends down. had my passport within 4 hrs and it was really straight forward.
phone them
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2011, 9:19:28 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I think the best thing to do is to ring the passport office in the UK and ask them what they think - they must have loads of people who ask about this kind of thing and loads of people who can't leave their passports while the new one is being created.
2 "both ways"
« Reply #7 on: 09 May 2011, 7:17:46 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

When you did the 4 hour renewal in London, did you have to make an appointment in advance (apparently one cannot book more than two weeks in advance and website says it gets very booked up) or did you simply walk in with your form, old passport, your signed photos & money and join the queue? Also, did you get your passport photos signed/authorised by someone in the UK?
NMS1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 May 2011, 11:50:53 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I think the best thing to do is to ring the passport office in the UK and ask them what they think - they must have loads of people who ask about this kind of thing and loads of people who can't leave their passports while the new one is being created.

When I asked the British High Commission their response was that they have received a lot of complaints but the move to Hong Kong was a government decision so we should complain to them. Their only solution was to apply (and pay) for a 2nd passport.
cmdsea

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2011, 16:51:44 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Their only solution was to apply (and pay) for a 2nd passport

Ditto.

If you find you fill a Jumbo in less than 10 years anyway, then just your co to write a letter saying you trqavel frequently and a second passport would be helpful.

Apply for a new one from HK and then replace the original at your leisure..

Works out the same (exbortitant) cost as having one passport filled every 5 years anyway...

Dr. Phil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 May 2011, 17:07:29 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

When I applied for a second passport it did not appear to bother the British Consulate who understood the reason ie always applying for visas and having to submit my passport rendered one passport problematic for travel in the interim. So I got a second passport.
They were extremely concerned about receiving a properly endorsed cheque.

However, they were a bit uppity when I asked for a third passport and started to mention limitations.  Shocked
Eventually I had to be quite blunt and I told them if my name was Raj or Abdul I'd have drawer full and one each for my countless wives and dependents. The communications broke down at this point, but cheerfully I possess two passports and have a one-year multiple entry "business" visa for Indonesia so the authorities don't kill one page every time I visit or pick me up and detain me for "working" on a "tourist" visa issued on arrival.  Angry
« Last Edit: 09 May 2011, 17:10:59 PM by Dr. Phil » Logged
Start From Scratch?
« Reply #11 on: 09 May 2011, 18:38:48 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Is that a completely new application, requiring original birth certificate, etc, to be sent off to HK? Or does it work like a renewal, with you keeping the first passport but with them accepting the application details without documentation, due to the presence of an existing passport? And, did you have to go into the High Comm here for assistance with that?
Dr. Phil

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 May 2011, 0:49:36 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Is that a completely new application, requiring original birth certificate, etc, to be sent off to HK? Or does it work like a renewal, with you keeping the first passport but with them accepting the application details without documentation, due to the presence of an existing passport? And, did you have to go into the High Comm here for assistance with that?

I haven't shown my passport for at least fifteen years. I think the day of the birth certificate being proof of nationality are long gone, what with government having so many departments not to mention internet search capability. In fact I haven't seen mine for a couple of decades at least.

I phoned the British High Comm and after an age, they found an English speaker and I asked what documents were required. I collected the form, passport photos and cheque and the phoned then I phoned them again and told them I was on my way so not to ask for additional documents!  Roll Eyes
They took all from me with no questions. I told them I was quite prepared to wait if they wanted to prepare it then but they said it would take a few days and they would inform me when to collect.

As I mentioned, a second passport is required for frequent fliers who often have to submit their sole passport for visa purposes while having to travel in the interim and the BHC do understand this and are unusually cooperative and helpful.
Even
« Reply #13 on: 10 May 2011, 9:38:08 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

As I mentioned, a second passport is required for frequent fliers who often have to submit their sole passport for visa purposes while having to travel in the interim and the BHC do understand this and are unusually cooperative and helpful.

As somebody else said, the only additional requirement is the company letter explaining you are a frequent business traveller. I did it here just before they closed the office and the girl at the counter started to complain about 'cannot' and the rest.

She walked to the back, no doubt to get consent, and ......... done.

Pleased I got it done here cause I think in 5-yrs I'll still be complaining about having to post everything to HK.
Courier Hell
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2011, 12:11:38 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks Dr Phil. Sounds like you had your second passport issued here in SG before they "centralised" the lot in HK. I wish I'd done that too!

Has anyone sent off an application for a second passport to HK via the new courier method and how did they go about it? Apart from the company letter, did you have to have your forms vetted and your existing passport looked at by the HC in SG fist?
Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: