Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 22 November 2017, 13:26:13 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Bread improver  (Read 7999 times)
C

View Profile
« on: 08 February 2001, 11:22:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Does anyone know where I can find bread improver in Singapore?

mango
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

What is a bread Improver?

Do you mean a bread making machine or a container to prove bread in?  In this climate you certainly do not need the latter.

ascorbic acid
« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2001, 15:06:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I guess he/she means ascorbic acid, or vitamin c, which is frequently included in bread as a flour improver. I've never seen it on sale here but you could try a chemist who may sell vit c powder.

marmalade
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2001, 13:22:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

No, they're talking about butter. You'll find butter improves bread no end.
Preserve
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2001, 7:39:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Close Marmalade, but the real bread improver is JAM not butter, just a large dollop of your favourite JAM will improve bread (especially when toasted...) to no end!
N
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2001, 16:49:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

We bought a breadmaker at Christmas and most of the recipes include 'Bread Improver'.  Ours came supplied with a sachet from Ailin Bakery House, 845 geyland road #01-48 tanjong katong complex tel 743 2693.  When we'd used the sachet we went to buy some but they had run out.  Have tried everywhere else but failed.  Vitamin C doesn't work.  Have resorted to using the pre-packed bread mixes. If you have any luck please let me know !!!
Midwitch

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2001, 14:21:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The problem with making bread here is the flour is milled from soft wheat and intended for cake making. You need to add gluten or use flour milled from hard wheat to make nice bread. Vitamin C is used to activate the yeast but the new type instant yeast has it added already. Quality bread flour, like everything else in Singapore, comes and goes off the shelf. There is a wonderful one I have been getting from Cold Storage imported from Canada. It is clearly labeled as "very strong flour for bread and pasta making". Another flour I use is the " Bakers Flour" I get from the organic shop under Spotlight. It is milled from hard wheat. The other option is to get gluten from a health food shop such as the one in Tanglin Mall and add it as per directions. They do have a locally milled flour for bread making but it is bleached and has therefore lost a lot of it's flavour. Happy baking!!
C

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2001, 15:24:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks everyone. Bread improver contains a range of stuff, including gluten flour, and seems to work better than gluten alone. I have just organised someone to bring me some from Australia, after near-exhaustive efforts to find some here.
gpr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2001, 8:22:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You could try Aussie Mart in Racecourse Rd
Little India. Not too sure about the full address somebody else may be able to help???

I believe that he will bring in anything from Australia for you....

Good luck

[This message has been edited by gpr (edited 28-02-2001).]

John Green
« Reply #9 on: 18 March 2001, 10:26:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

There is a bread making supplies shop in Bencoolen Street. I cant remember the name -something Chinese. They are easy to find - just walk down Bencoolen from Sim Lim Square towards Bras Basah. You will pass a large new shopping centre, then an older building that has a Thai restaurant and flight of stairs going up to Harhara Travel.

The bread shop is next door at ground level. It has everything you need, including gluten, hard wheat flour and bread improver.

Find the address of Harhara Travel and you are one door away.

C

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 March 2001, 13:29:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thanks all, for your helpful (well -- some of you were  ) responses. I'm off to check out the Bencoolen shop.
Boston Family Sing. bound

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 March 2001, 22:15:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

We saw some bread improver today at the Bukit Timah NTUC store, which store I highly recommend for variety of products, price and availability of familiar stuff!
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: