Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 25 November 2017, 15:32:48 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dulwich College  (Read 49443 times)
really?
« Reply #15 on: 02 December 2011, 9:40:42 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I've heard of other, very respectable, top tier public schools that may be heading this way. About time too. The existing, overhyped establishments here have had it too easy for too long.

which ones?  or are you just full of the usual rumour crap?

All Will Be Revealed
« Reply #16 on: 02 December 2011, 9:46:48 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You're going to have to wait and see!
ah, so....
« Reply #17 on: 02 December 2011, 10:00:25 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You're going to have to wait and see!

It's the usual crap, boring rumour mill then...thanks for clarifying
sarcasmmm
« Reply #18 on: 02 December 2011, 12:06:10 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I've heard of other, very respectable, top tier public schools that may be heading this way. About time too. The existing, overhyped establishments here have had it too easy for too long.

Yes i have heard the same rumours....Harrow, etc. I am now so excited about another "franchise" top tier public school....cannot wait till they come to Singapore......please note the sarcasm.

I will agree with you that Tanglin, UWC and SAS are overrated.
soundsgood!
« Reply #19 on: 02 December 2011, 12:25:53 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I too agree with the above posters that the "top" schools here are overrated. At my child's school if you even mention a small criticism to any of the parents you get shot down and labelled a troublemaker. It's like as if they are all brainwashed!

A few weeks back I saw a poster say that the international schools here are not private or independent schools, they are just schools that you pay to go to rather than send your child to a local school. That person was right. I personally would like to see a few more quality schools coming here and creating a bit more competition amongst the international schools. I would even be willing to pay more to send my children to a really good school. I think that there are a number of schools here that are extremely arrogant and I would be very happy to have a bit more choice.
no compulsion
« Reply #20 on: 02 December 2011, 12:31:54 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I too agree with the above posters that the "top" schools here are overrated. At my child's school if you even mention a small criticism to any of the parents you get shot down and labelled a troublemaker. It's like as if they are all brainwashed!

A few weeks back I saw a poster say that the international schools here are not private or independent schools, they are just schools that you pay to go to rather than send your child to a local school. That person was right. I personally would like to see a few more quality schools coming here and creating a bit more competition amongst the international schools. I would even be willing to pay more to send my children to a really good school. I think that there are a number of schools here that are extremely arrogant and I would be very happy to have a bit more choice.

You have complete choice
don't bother
« Reply #21 on: 02 December 2011, 12:54:33 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yes i have heard the same rumours....Harrow, etc. I am now so excited about another "franchise" top tier public school....cannot wait till they come to Singapore......please note the sarcasm.

I will agree with you that Tanglin, UWC and SAS are overrated.
  Wikipedia alone lists 32 international schools in Singapore without including Dulwich or Marlborough, or any other new ones.  Just how many do you need before you will feel there is some competition and choice?  Do you REALLY think options elsewhere are any better?

The complainants, regardless of what they may say after this post, will have checked two or three schools before making a decision.  And they are complaining because, sadly, it's what many expats like to do.  They think it's clever and I'm ashamed to be associated with them - locals will see their behaviour and tar us all with the same brush.
Top tier
« Reply #22 on: 02 December 2011, 13:08:36 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

There are no schools here which can compete with the best in the UK in terms of academic excellence and results. Most British international school results are comparable with a good state school or middle of the road grammar.

There are no truly academically selective international schools here. There are no international schools that have class sizes of less than 20 with a teacher and two teaching assistants here.  

Most teachers in UK schools here were state educated in the UK. It may not be PC to admit it but generally this means they are less well educated than their equivalent in private schools. Some have poor grammar and spelling etc. There are of course some fantastic state educated teachers.

In the past most parents were ok with a 'good' education for their children. Increasingly it seems there are parents here who would have gone private in the UK and are looking for similar excellence here. Some are sending their children to Marlborough in Malaysia next year.

I am told American schools here can't compare to the best US private schools in a similar fashion?
soundsgood!
« Reply #23 on: 02 December 2011, 14:00:13 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

What I should have said is that I do not feel I am getting value for money at my school and I do not think I will get it at any of the international schools here.

There is a very prestigious private school back in my home town. I hope to send my children there when I return. This school charges 50% of what I am currently paying here for the same year. I am not going to compare academics (although the schools ranking in the league tables is very good) but at the same age, their curriculum would include learning an instrument, 4 PE sessions a week including soccer, hockey and a weekly swimming lesson without fail. If I want to do any of this here, I have to pay extra for it (apart from a few weeks of swimming) and it is regarded as extra-curricular. The schools facilities are great. It's a real shame my child doesn't get to use them very often.

As a customer, paying a large amount of money for a service, I should be allowed an opinion and I should be allowed to question something that I am not comfortable with. I am not saying that  the schools here are no good. I am actually quite happy with my teacher and think my child is doing well. What I am saying is that in comparison with paying for education elsewhere, these schools do not appear to be good value for money. However, schooling here is like property. The costs just keep going up and up and you just have to lap it up or leave.
Why influx?
« Reply #24 on: 02 December 2011, 14:04:37 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Why a sudden influx of international schools?

I've wondered if there has not been an outstanding international school previously (academically outstanding, small class sizes, brilliant teaching/teachers etc) because there wasn't the demand?

The expats coming in were largely middle manager type grade who would have sent their children to good state comprehensives in the leafy suburbs so were happy to accept equivalent education in similar schools? Has the demographic changed? This group don't know how good independent education is as they've usually no experience. If you were considering a state school at home and see some of the international schools here you would think you've died and gone to heaven (particularly if the fees were paid by the company).

There seem to be a large group now who are much more senior and sought after? The group that would be more demanding and traditionally select the best private schools for their children? More importantly perhaps the group that have more money - although I imagine they would expect school fees as part of their package?

The British International schools here say there results are very good given they are non selective. They are self selecting though are they not? No poor children, no children who don't have a good grasp of english, no children with serious special educational needs, graduate parents etc. Given this I would say the results should be better, far better.
Frederica
« Reply #25 on: 02 December 2011, 14:14:00 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I think people are staying longer in Singapore these days which may influence things?
priorities
« Reply #26 on: 02 December 2011, 14:16:18 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

For parents HAS to be your kids.

If you believe on balance that Singapore is not the best place for your kids to be, then go wherever you think is.

Frederica
« Reply #27 on: 02 December 2011, 14:27:49 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If your priority is an excellent academic education in an outstanding school I am not sure you'll find it here. Surely 'good' or even ok is good enough for most of us?

Singapore is a great place to live and if our children our happy that's all that matters?

Is an elite education with excellent teachers etc the be all and end all? Even if you can afford to pay for it. Isn't it better to have rounded, down-to-earth children who will fit anywhere?

Ne'er A Truer Word
« Reply #28 on: 02 December 2011, 17:02:34 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Top Tier, you have hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Snotty
« Reply #29 on: 02 December 2011, 23:00:12 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

..and obviously a snob,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: