Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 21 April 2014, 22:41:30 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dulwich College  (Read 22601 times)
teacher...
« Reply #45 on: 06 December 2011, 22:20:59 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

A child I taught has just been accepted into Marlborough as a boarder. Without going into any details, they are clearly not being very selective at the moment!
ExpatSingapore Message Board
« Reply #45 on: 06 December 2011, 22:20:59 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Encouraging
« Reply #46 on: 06 December 2011, 22:24:22 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

To teacher, yes they've pretty much openly said it will never be so easy to get your child in. They will be more selective as time goes on.
Good grief
« Reply #47 on: 07 December 2011, 5:57:38 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

To teacher, yes they've pretty much openly said it will never be so easy to get your child in. They will be more selective as time goes on.

They're pretty much said this to whom? Do you mean you found this out when they called you to let you know?

The rumour mill among the bored mothers is doing well, I see!
ciaotuuti
« Reply #48 on: 07 December 2011, 7:39:45 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

This is so funny.

It doesn't matter which school moves here or to Malaysia, they won't need to do much to fill their coffers. The marketing person at the school will have a really easy job. Spin a few lines out into the market about how great teachers are, a few lines about the results in the original school in the UK, say you are charging 10K more than UWC and you will have all the nouveaux riche expat Tai Tai's scrambling to get their little darlings in without even reading the brochure. Whilst this is happening, the school back in the UK will send over a couple of teachers to set it up and then leave it to the teachers they have poached from Singapore. They will charge you a lot more money and give you the same as you were getting here. But that extra cost will be worth the gloating at coffee mornings. In the end, you will move your little darlings to a new country and school and end up having the old teacher you had at your international school in Singapore.

FYI I know of 3 people from Tanglin and UWC already signed up for Marlborough and bought places to live in JB.

Personally, I am very glad to be getting out of this school rat race. We are heading back home and the independent schools I am talking to could not be more professional and helpful. It is actually a very pleasant experience to deal with them!
i bet...
« Reply #49 on: 07 December 2011, 8:29:53 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

FYI I know of 3 people from Tanglin and UWC already signed up for Marlborough and bought places to live in JB.

...you're lying
Signed up my a@#$e!
« Reply #50 on: 07 December 2011, 13:43:40 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

The place is nowhere near built yet!
ciaotuuti
« Reply #51 on: 07 December 2011, 14:14:14 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It matters not a jot to me if you believe me or not. I DO know 3 people who have applied to MC and 2 of them have already bought places, one looking. Not sure if their kids are definitely accepted but 2 have already bought. These are all children in my son's year (K2, age 6). I am not sure of they are going to move them or waiting a few years. They bought large houses at a fraction of the price here and will commute to work in SP.

Yes, of course I could be rumor mongering. I wonder how mangy of you are now going to spend the next 2 hours on their website and looking at houses there now  Wink
macmee
« Reply #52 on: 07 December 2011, 15:33:21 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

For 2 years the temporary school will be on Clementi Ave 6 then moves to Bukit Batok...
Malborough College
« Reply #53 on: 07 December 2011, 18:59:41 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Malborough college in Johor had their open days in October and November and the school opens next summer.
My friend has her son enrolled for P1, had meetings with some of the teachers and headmaster, visited the campus and was generally very impressed.
She does, however, already live in Johor , so is very happy to give up the daily commute to drop the kids off at school in Singapore.
teacher...
« Reply #54 on: 09 December 2011, 18:31:43 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Salary scales for Dulwich College Singapore are posted on their website and are quite a bit less than both UWC and Tanglin and their end of contract bonus is very small.  Their expat benefits such as housing etc are not posted yet.
to scarbowl
« Reply #55 on: 10 December 2011, 11:25:17 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I haven't heard anything yet about phillips andover coming in. How strong are these rumors?
First independent
« Reply #56 on: 10 December 2011, 13:03:35 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Dulwich describes itself as Singapore's first Independent school on its website - what does this mean & imply?
Hopefully
« Reply #57 on: 11 December 2011, 1:41:35 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

All you annoying parents will all be together at Dulwich or Marlbrough where you can all be very happy with your private school with it's small classes and top teachers. But that won't happen will it because it just won't be the same and will you be happy? I don't think so and so ends this post........
cynicalcindy
« Reply #58 on: 11 December 2011, 9:49:21 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I won't be moving my kids there because having been in Singapore for a long time and finally working the place out I am a cynical old bitch and I'm pretty sure it will be same sh!t, different uniform, with higher fees just for the extra bit of marketing. At the end of the day the school is not on it's own shores and can of what it likes and make parents bend over backwards and hold them to ransom just as all the others do. My kids are happy where they are so I am not going to start pandering to any new schools BS.
Tell Us More
« Reply #59 on: 11 December 2011, 10:17:25 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Where are you from cynicalcindy?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: