Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 01 November 2014, 20:21:23 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dulwich College  (Read 28229 times)
no JB for me
« Reply #60 on: 11 December 2011, 17:50:20 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I won't be moving my kids there because having been in Singapore for a long time and finally working the place out I am a cynical old bitch and I'm pretty sure it will be same sh!t, different uniform, with higher fees just for the extra bit of marketing. At the end of the day the school is not on it's own shores and can of what it likes and make parents bend over backwards and hold them to ransom just as all the others do. My kids are happy where they are so I am not going to start pandering to any new schools BS.

I agree - same sh!t, different uniform.  Often with the same teachers too who've just moved to a new school around here...........and in the case of Marlborough, without the safety net of a government body such as the CPE that we have here.
ExpatSingapore Message Board
« Reply #60 on: 11 December 2011, 17:50:20 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Flooded with applications
« Reply #61 on: 12 December 2011, 18:31:56 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Dulwich has been flooded with high quality applications. It's a grim situation out there for UK teachers at the moment. More talented professionals are beginning to look East.

Dulwich are going to offer something very different from anything currently on offer and in time may be a real rival to the top schools here. They are going to be the only academically selective international school for a start. From year 3 up prospective pupils will have to pass cognitive ability tests. Time will tell of course.

thx
« Reply #62 on: 12 December 2011, 20:54:30 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Dulwich has been flooded with high quality applications. It's a grim situation out there for UK teachers at the moment. More talented professionals are beginning to look East.

Dulwich are going to offer something very different from anything currently on offer and in time may be a real rival to the top schools here. They are going to be the only academically selective international school for a start. From year 3 up prospective pupils will have to pass cognitive ability tests. Time will tell of course.

This is such a load of crap! They will be as selective as taking every student that applies, so they can fill their school!  Such BS....get real
Take a look
« Reply #63 on: 12 December 2011, 22:35:55 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Take a look at their website. Initially, like Marlborough, they may have to be more flexible but in time I believe Dulwich will be the most academically selective school here. No other schools are academically selective from Y3.
Marketdep
« Reply #64 on: 12 December 2011, 23:10:02 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

This is a really bad "advertisement" from the Dulwich marketing department.  I am surprised the BM hasn't deleted it it's so blatant (and unbelievable.)
Flooded with applications
« Reply #65 on: 13 December 2011, 0:09:04 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I can assure you it's not. We have children here at another school but I've been doing a lot of legwork and trying to find out as much as possible rather than relying on hearsay.

We should be pleased potentially very good schools are coming to the region as this will only benefit those of us with children here. As current schools have already said extra competition with keep them on their toes and allow no one to rest on their laurels.

I think Marlborough is going to turn out to be an excellent school in time too. They've already recruited some outstanding staff.
Okokok
« Reply #66 on: 13 December 2011, 6:48:53 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Competition!
Are you serious! Do you think schools are sitting worrying about this school.
Not now
« Reply #67 on: 13 December 2011, 7:15:42 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

No you're right no one will be concerned but will be watching with interest perhaps?

When these schools bed down in a few years it will be interesting to see if they offer real competition & how they evolve.
sure...
« Reply #68 on: 14 December 2011, 7:53:27 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I can assure you it's not. We have children here at another school but I've been doing a lot of legwork and trying to find out as much as possible rather than relying on hearsay.

We should be pleased potentially very good schools are coming to the region as this will only benefit those of us with children here. As current schools have already said extra competition with keep them on their toes and allow no one to rest on their laurels.

I think Marlborough is going to turn out to be an excellent school in time too. They've already recruited some outstanding staff.

And of course we all believe you....give our regards to the marketing team of course
Research is possible
« Reply #69 on: 14 December 2011, 14:11:07 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

They may have recruited staff already (and as they apparently open in August expect they have begun the recruitment process)& are advertising jobs on the TES website (UK). The situation for UK teachers is currently very grim. For that reason alone I would expect them to have many applications, it really isn't so surprising.

It's not difficult to research this school and others & ask questions. They have websites & email addresses after all.

There was an article in the Straits Times a few days back on this school too - authenticating some of what's been said.
Breaking News
« Reply #70 on: 23 December 2011, 15:43:56 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Colleague applied for job at new Dulwich College and was told that they are now not opening until 2014 due to unforseen circumstances.
Fortunately..most
« Reply #71 on: 24 December 2011, 11:58:17 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Of us don't give a rats!
To PP
« Reply #72 on: 24 December 2011, 17:03:01 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You clearly have some interest in it or you wouldn't have bothered opening the thread to read my post and then commented on it.

As for me, I'm in education so I'm always interested in new schools that open here, and what they have to offer. I won't be changing jobs or moving my kids, as I'm more than happy where we are, but I'll be interested to see how it does and what it has to offer.
interestedtoo
« Reply #73 on: 24 December 2011, 17:36:02 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I will follow with interest too. My child is currently at UWC. If, under the new application process, my other child does not get offered a place there, I will certainly be looking for an alternative school for both my children.
Found in another post
« Reply #74 on: 28 December 2011, 6:07:00 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Re: Q regarding private schooling here.
« Reply #20 on: 14 December 2011, 23:33:39 pm »
Please don't delude yourself about Dulwich College Singapore being an offshoot of Dulwich College London. Some research shows that Dulwich College Management International is a franchise agreement and the only links with the school in London are the name and the fact that some of the fees parents will be paying will go to the school in the UK. The term 'the first British Independent School. ' in Singapore is open to interpretation. If you believe that a commercial organization running a school in Singapore fits that description then good luck to you.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: