Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 29 November 2014, 10:07:10 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: American marrying to Singapore Citizen  (Read 6588 times)
Splendor
« on: 13 February 2012, 23:29:15 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi,
My fiance and me are getting married late this year in Singapore and we wish to reside and start a family in Singapore. I decided to leave USA and give up my current job and move over to Singapore.
Been reading up on the application failure of permanent residency in Singapore, and it kinda scares me. We wish to start a family and plan our future here, not intending to separate after our marriage.
My fiance will be applying a long term visit pass but we are unsure how long this pass expires, and is it renewable every time?
I am graduated from a college degree in USA and had some working experience and my fiance is a Singaporean citizen who have been working in the society for 10years.
We have been constantly flying through and fro every few months to visit each other and maintain our relationship for the past 2 years.
Any idea if i am able to get a permanent resident easily?

Sfa
« Reply #1 on: 14 February 2012, 6:38:15 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Chance of getting PR is zip.
ns
« Reply #2 on: 14 February 2012, 8:27:22 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

if you're willing to perform NS (national service) in S'pore, then this will increase your chances of getting S'pore PR.
contributing taxpayers
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2012, 9:31:44 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Really depends on what you have to offer Singapore - skills, degree, talent or in a 'hot' field that is currently in demand (eg BioTech).

You don't have to be highly qualified - you just have to meet whatever current niches they're looking for. It's not one of those bleeding heart countries that will accept all and sundry, just because you married one of their citizens. Or on 'compassionate' grounds

Some PRs in other countries have 'married' citizens just so they can get their papers, or pulled in relatives one after another with bleeding heart accounts of how brutal life is back home. And then entire family proceeds to collect a lifetime of UI (unemployment benefits), welfare and medical perks and all - aka, proceed to become a liability to existing tax-payers, rather than any new contributing asset.

Singapore would be the opposite. They're pragmatically stringent in their requirements, so loosey-goosey degrees in very general fields (eg Arts) may not make the grade. Unless, of course you're outstanding in your general degree.

Beg to
« Reply #4 on: 14 February 2012, 11:03:44 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Differ.

They don't really like to see any more citizens move away than are already emigrating. If this lady leaves Singapore, there's another chance out of the window of adding 1 or 2 Singaporeans to the already shrinking number.

So long as you're not a total nincompoop or have a criminal record, you should certainly try, for EP first, provided that you're qualified and are willing to work hard at finding a job. Later on, you can have a go at PR.

Also
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2012, 11:06:10 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It wouldn't harm to polish up your English.
sparkling

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2012, 13:34:41 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It has happened.

The plus factor for your case is if your family have a good income and can support yourself.

For example, if your fiancee/wife has a good job, earning a good pay and can support you to a certain extent till you find a job.

It would be a bonus if you find a job.

If your combined income is reasonable to "support your family and contribute to society" or something along those lines, the chances of getting a PR via spouse sponsorship can be quite good.

Good luck.
DrStat
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2012, 14:38:05 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi,
My fiance and me are getting married late this year in Singapore and we wish to reside and start a family in Singapore. I decided to leave USA and give up my current job and move over to Singapore.
Been reading up on the application failure of permanent residency in Singapore, and it kinda scares me. We wish to start a family and plan our future here, not intending to separate after our marriage.
My fiance will be applying a long term visit pass but we are unsure how long this pass expires, and is it renewable every time?
I am graduated from a college degree in USA and had some working experience and my fiance is a Singaporean citizen who have been working in the society for 10years.
We have been constantly flying through and fro every few months to visit each other and maintain our relationship for the past 2 years.

I think it is good if you have a plan B
Compensation expert
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2012, 23:27:08 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You shouldn't have any problem getting PR, especially if you are caucasian and speak well.
DameAnna
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2012, 0:12:30 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi,

Since your fiance is a Singaporean citizen who has been working for 10 years, I am quite sure you will get PR once you marry him/her. They basically just want to see that your Singaporean spouse can support you if anything happens to you, which he/she obviously can.

You have PR in the bag.

Source: Ex-colleague who married Singaporean woman and told me PR was a breeze. PR myself.
some rubbish
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2012, 9:15:11 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

posted by people who are clueless.
The above two posts are correct.
With a Singapore wife then PR will be straightforward.
I got it and don't even have a job. Grin Grin
what rubbish
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2012, 11:06:55 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Until recently, PR is not easily attainable just because your spouse is a SG citizen. Considering there is an influx of foreigners into the country, MOM will carry out a case-by-case analysis on PR applications and it is usually stringent.
Subprimer
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2012, 11:34:20 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Ensure you're subprime free and not owe money to wells fargo or jp morgan chase, settle your debts back in US of A or risk repatiration

start on a clean slate, if ya know what i mean, ensure your credit scores a spiffy jiffy ya know. *wink*

Police report is required as well as well as medical.
Hope ur clean
goodlucksir
« Reply #13 on: 26 February 2012, 17:06:09 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Those who marry Singaporeans and have issues getting PR are almost always only in the cases where it looks like a "marriage of convenience". For example, old Chinese uncle marrying a 20something from PRC or Vietnam.  The assumption is she is paying him for marriage to get her PR, or he met her as a working girl in Geylang. Either way, gahmen doesn't want her around.

Also, if the foreigner was on a work pass (not EP - think Maid, cleaner, or F&B staff), then the local needs permission from MOM (ministry of manpower) to even marry this person. The reason is Singaporean wants to keep known "low qualities" out.

Anyway, not sure if you're the guy or girl in this situation.  If your fiance makes at least $2800 a month, you're fine for LTVP.  This is generally good for 1-5 years.  The more money he/she makes, the longer you stay and the easier your PR application will be.  Even at the minimum income, if you get a job PR application under family scheme should be simple.

That said, if you're the caucasian male, and she's the Singaporean female, you're making a mistake.  Would you want to live in Candyland but after agreeing to only ever eat twizzlers for the rest of your life?  Wink
Solved
« Reply #14 on: 27 February 2012, 15:05:19 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Get a job and an employment pass, then you don't have to be a PR. After a few years and enough water has passed under the bridge for those scales to fall from your eyes, then apply for PR, if you still want to. I know guys who married locals and have done/are doing just that. Not too many have applied so far, mostly because they like the perks that come with their foreign hire status.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: