Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 03 December 2016, 19:37:19 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Landlord removed by room without telling me  (Read 649 times)
Landlord Issue
« on: 21 September 2016, 1:25:34 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hey,

I came home yesterday after a long day of work and discovered that my common room is not there anymore and she (the landlord) did not tell me that before.
I live together with another tenant in a newly renovated flat for 20 days now.

Background:
A few days after I moved in  on the 1st September she told me to leave the flat at the first of October without telling me any reason. We had a clause in the contract  to allow either party to give 30 days notice to the other to terminate the contract. Since I did not misbehave in any way during that short time I just assumed she had other plans with the flat.
Now I see what she was planning and she was just tearing down some walls in the flat including the walls of my room. She just put my bed in the middle of a big empty area where I am sleeping now without any privacy and still she did not contact me in any way.

There were 3 things during the rental time which bothered me:
1) During the first day my room was not finished renovating so I had to stay in another room for 2 nights.
2) She let other people into the house to show them rooms without telling me even though the contract clearly states that she has to.
3) Now I don't have a room anymore.

I am not sure what to do now. I thought about leaving the flat immediately today and claiming the entire rent back for the month via a whatsapp message, which was our prefered way to communicate. Do you think there is a chance I could get some of the rent back I paid for the first month?

Also  I heard about the Small Claims Tribunal but read here that it is not dealing with those matters, is that true?

What about going to court with this matter in general? She is one of the worst persons I met in my life and it bothers me that she could just get away with that/

Thanks for your advice and help

Empathiser
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2016, 14:50:51 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Did you he a tenancy agreement & how Long is yr original tenancy period? Is this HDB or private house?
supernatural
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2016, 2:12:04 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

you might want to edit your typo in title

"landlord removed BY room"
leave the place
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2016, 17:19:43 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

These arrogant fools tend to just do what they want when they own property.  Racking up legal bills just isn't worth the grief.  Just get out and find another better place.  Some landlords are simply just greedy scum of the earth. Move on, you don't need these blood suckers.
expat13

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2016, 14:09:14 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Unfortunatly some owners , agents don't think about others and their respect or feelings. For my case, 13 days kitchen+Hall+Master room closed due to renovation but Owner and Agent asking full month rent or else vacate. They say it is common here.  Only Money they want. Don't know what is their thought. May be they think foreigner will not do anything. really worst some time.

I heard some Owners really respect others feeling and privacy. Cheating , lying seems part of some people lifes.
Marie Ong
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2016, 14:34:32 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hey,

Send an official letter to landlord with registered mail indicating on terms and conditions of tenancy agreement which both signed (made a copied).

Highlighting the landlord breached the contact and seek her compensation with facts and reasons.

under conclusion/last paragraph.. tell her to respond before you proceed to tribunal court to file law suit mentioning that you are kind to have a mutual settlement.

Tribunal court will not involve in details but they handled claim refund.  May be it works

Remark: it happened I saw your chat which I am not active reader in such chat.. Good Luck

I came home yesterday after a long day of work and discovered that my common room is not there anymore and she (the landlord) did not tell me that before.
I live together with another tenant in a newly renovated flat for 20 days now.

Background:
A few days after I moved in  on the 1st September she told me to leave the flat at the first of October without telling me any reason. We had a clause in the contract  to allow either party to give 30 days notice to the other to terminate the contract. Since I did not misbehave in any way during that short time I just assumed she had other plans with the flat.
Now I see what she was planning and she was just tearing down some walls in the flat including the walls of my room. She just put my bed in the middle of a big empty area where I am sleeping now without any privacy and still she did not contact me in any way.

There were 3 things during the rental time which bothered me:
1) During the first day my room was not finished renovating so I had to stay in another room for 2 nights.
2) She let other people into the house to show them rooms without telling me even though the contract clearly states that she has to.
3) Now I don't have a room anymore.

I am not sure what to do now. I thought about leaving the flat immediately today and claiming the entire rent back for the month via a whatsapp message, which was our prefered way to communicate. Do you think there is a chance I could get some of the rent back I paid for the first month?

Also  I heard about the Small Claims Tribunal but read here that it is not dealing with those matters, is that true?

What about going to court with this matter in general? She is one of the worst persons I met in my life and it bothers me that she could just get away with that/

Thanks for your advice and help

mousie mouse
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2016, 2:52:55 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

May be they think foreigner will not do anything.

Thing is usually they don't and are afraid to most of the time.  Best to just get out.  There are other options out there.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: