Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 30 August 2014, 16:28:56 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Curtains drycleaned as part of Tenancy Agreement standard?  (Read 4532 times)
Unsure tenant
« on: 16 February 2012, 21:20:40 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Is it standard for the tenant to have to pay for the drycleaning of the curtains when they leave as part of the tenancy agreement? Wondering how "normal" this request is . . . .
ExpatSingapore Message Board
« on: 16 February 2012, 21:20:40 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Totally Normal
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2012, 0:40:58 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Sadly, this is totally normal here. We never ask this of our own tenants back home, but there is there and here is here.
not biggie but integrity
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2012, 8:47:32 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Good on you OP.

Though with some tenants, normally not done even if specified in contract and missed during handover.
3 apts later...
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2012, 14:23:18 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

...and I've never done that.  Nor been asked to.

So, while it may happen, I wouldn't say it's normal.
BoardManager
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2012, 14:44:22 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

No, it is not normal, and not expected of tenants.
chinotango

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2012, 18:33:11 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Items required to be done by the tenants will be stated in the T.A. The Landlord would expect the unit to be returned to him in the same condition it was given to the tenant.. less the wear and tear...AKA tenantable condition.. Items like aircon servicing are standard things bore by the tenant... but curtains.. case to case basis, most landlords would bear the cost unless stated. Or it just could be a way of the Landlord finding a reason to deduct yr deposit...
4&Counting
« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2012, 18:48:34 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

This has appeared on 5 of our leases here so far. I've never seen it as a deal breaker and have been happy to comply. What's the big deal?
sure or not?
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2012, 20:57:15 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

No, it is not normal, and not expected of tenants.

BM this is misleading!

10 years and counting and it's been in every TA I've ever seen (mine and others).

I see it as an acceptable condition, especially if the curtains are brand new.  I suppose if the curtains were old and gross I'd tell the LL to shove it, but to date have always moved into apts with nicely kept, cleaned curtains.  I don't think it should be a big deal to leave them in the state you received them!
Never
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2012, 22:38:03 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

never seen in last 7 years here, certainly not normal...
kaki11

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 February 2012, 22:43:30 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Not seen it. What's next fumigating matresses?
If you do run into this problem, I would agree to pay the landlord the appropriate amount. After all he only wants your money. Given the UV damage caused by the sun over time, there is a good chance that they'll fall apart in handling - so let him take that risk.
Cleaning Curtains
« Reply #10 on: 17 February 2012, 22:50:34 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

has been in my past two TA's and I know a few of my friends have the same clause, so definitely not unusual in Singapore, quite the norm.
Kapitan Obvious
« Reply #11 on: 18 February 2012, 1:15:05 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

From reading this thread, the only logical conclusion is that it is a clause "sometimes".  It's not in my lease, for instance, but obviously it is in some.
the way i see it
« Reply #12 on: 18 February 2012, 1:29:05 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

if you were not given a place with sticky spills in the fridge, bits of foods and stains on stove and microwave, scummy tiles in bathrooms, dusty greyish curtains that were gross to the touch ... why would anyone ever hand back a place thus?

it's just basic hygiene, respect and courtesy to me to do such basics.
otherwise it's just also reflective on what a dirty slob and how sloppy i am, as the inhabitant.

simple manners.
Winnie Chow
« Reply #13 on: 18 February 2012, 9:23:52 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Any reasonably priced place to clean the curtains?
Froggy Freda
« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2012, 2:44:08 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I just washed ours in the washing machine - they were made of a cheap cotton, shrunk slightly but no one noticed. I told the landlord they were cleaned. He didnt ask for receipt.
Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: