Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 24 August 2016, 16:30:21 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: How to find reputable dog breeders here?  (Read 3622 times)
wanna-be puppy owner
« on: 25 February 2012, 9:30:09 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I would like to get a labrador puppy here but do not want to get one from a pet shop or puppy mill.  Does anyone know what the best approach would be?  It's rather difficult to find info about reputable dog breeders here.  Does anyone have info about any upcoming litters?

I'm also open to importing a puppy from australia but would rather get personal recommendations for specific breeders rather than basing on info I dig up from web.   

Labradors would be my first choice, but I would also be interested in other breeds such as golden retrievers, pugs, or lhasa apsos.

And yes, I have been regularly checking the SPCA and Action for Singapore Dogs but have not had much luck.   

Thanks Smiley

Muttley
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2012, 15:22:57 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Is there a reason you prefer a labrador? I can't say I'm blind to breeds, because I do believe that some breeds are better for specific circumstances than others, ie small dogs, guard dogs, seeing-eye dogs, etc, and I certainly wouldn't keep a Siberian husky in the tropics. But barring very specific needs, I think I'd pretty much accept any pup that I seemed to click with. Of, course, my (rescue) cats would murder me in my sleep once I brought him home, but that's a completely different issue.
Mini Muttley
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2012, 16:37:12 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Anyone with at least one functioning brain cell would call the Kennel Club.
super woof
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2012, 14:15:37 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Why do you think the breed would be better coming from Australia?

I bought my dogs from a petshop here about 10 years ago. Both dogs were imported from Australia but turns out they have puppy farms there too!

Some breeders may be very particular about the home their dog goes to. Expats do have a reputation of taking in pets only to try and rehome them when moving on or home. Sad but true.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: