Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 24 September 2018, 4:13:45 AM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: URGENT Tioman in a day?  (Read 3530 times)
Old lady
« on: 19 July 2012, 18:59:53 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have a young girl (20) coming to stay with me for a few days, it is her first time in Asia.  She has asked if it is possible to take a day trip to Malaysia (I cannot go with her).  She has obviously looked at the map and seen how close it is and wants to tick off another country.  There is no way I am going to send her to Jahor on her own!  But is there anyway it is possible to go to Tioman, or somewhere more, shall we say safe, for a day trip?

I know I could look it up - but I am being lazy  Grin  And also, I have to get back to her tonight as she is flying tomorrow and I really haven't the time so am appealing to the goodwill of all you well travelled people.

Thank you!

mum 2-2
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2012, 21:52:38 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am not 100% sure and am happy to be corrected but think there is only one flight in and out per day via Berjaya Air. So that would not be an option.

I think the only ferry to Tioman goes from Mersing - which is approx 3 hour drive from Singapore. She could do this by bus or taxi depending on her budget. I think there are 3-4 ferries per day and the crossing takes about one and a half hours.
That means 4.5 hours each way, so not really a day trip.
Bintan or Batam much more doable in a day. Could tick Indo on her list instead:)

While in Tioman I did see ferries that appeared to be from JB but I've no idea how you book these.
Old lady
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2012, 22:01:52 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Thank you Mum 2-2.  Thought it might be a bit difficult (I haven't been there in years).  Might have to be Bintan.  That I can get my head around and that, as you say, is another country she can tick off!
cmdsea

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2012, 8:27:51 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Not too sure if its already too late but a day trip to KL would make far more sense than trying to get to Tioman and back.

Fly on Air Asia and take the first flight up at 6AM and back on the last flight at 10:40PM will give her a full day for sightseeing. As these are less popular flight times the fare is reasonable too ($72 round trip for the sample date I looked at 25 Jul)

Otherwise there are full day tours to malacca available. A lot of time on a bus for only a few hours there but she would get to see the main sights. Any of the travel agents along the frtont at Golden Mile (Beach Rd) would sell her that trip
jalanperak

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2012, 14:07:01 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Otherwise there are full day tours to malacca available. A lot of time on a bus for only a few hours there but she would get to see the main sights. Any of the travel agents along the frtont at Golden Mile (Beach Rd) would sell her that trip

This was going to be my suggestion as well. Malacca is a pretty historical city, and would make an interesting day trip.

Another possibility would be a ferry trip to Bintan (or Batam, but it's kind of a pit). Not all that interesting, but if her main goal is to add another stamp to her passport, it might be worth spending a day.
NMS1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2012, 18:11:19 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I would also recommend Malacca but it would be better to stay 1 night. My brother did it last year - left early in the morning giving them the afternoon and evening up there, came back lunchtime the following day.
no JB?
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2012, 20:35:33 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

JB is ok in daylight... just take the bus up.  Probably not a good choice for a female after dark.  Other choices include supervised day trips that the travel agencies take.  For example, they have a bus tour that goes to a mall or 2 and then the new outlet mall (blah - been there, done that) north of JB.
paper chase
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2012, 20:50:59 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If it's stamps she's after, she'll positively love Batam or Bintan, because they'll be plastering her passport with a massive visa sticker.

Plus it's not a bad place to hang for a while. Bintang that is.
TallWesternAsian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 March 2018, 19:16:31 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If she's looking to explore Malaysia on her own, then do it through a travel agency and with a tour group.

Otherwise, sign up with Blue reef scuba for a diving class and get whisked away to Tioman for a weekend of fun. SHe'll be well looked after and return in one piece.
Pages: [1]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: