Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 22 October 2018, 20:16:00 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: Best International Schools - and why.  (Read 49409 times)
Mr. Chips
« Reply #30 on: 11 May 2013, 17:16:54 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Given Australia's proximity to English culture; I sent my sons to Geelong Grammar in Victoria. It did them a world of good and they came out as credits to the family. To give you an idea, Prince Charles went there for a year.

In Singapore, SJI International is passable. The rest quite deplorable really.

Talking out
« Reply #31 on: 11 May 2013, 18:26:45 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Of your bottom really. SJI ....ha
Research for You
« Reply #32 on: 12 May 2013, 13:42:39 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Given Australia's proximity to English culture; I sent my sons to Geelong Grammar in Victoria. It did them a world of good and they came out as credits to the family. To give you an idea, Prince Charles went there for a year.

In Singapore, SJI International is passable. The rest quite deplorable really.
Just the sort of "English culture" that gives Brits a bad name, I'd say. Makes me think of Monty Python's "upperclass twit of the year award."
kathvit

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 May 2013, 13:09:03 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Good international schools?  That all depends on your child.  A school good for one child could be  an awful fit for another.  You need to look at your OWN CHILDREN.  Will they do better in a smaller school environment? Are they sporty? Do they need lots of facilities?  Do they have a special need?  Which school is best FOR THEM.  There is NO SUCH THING as the BEST international school.  There are only schools with are the BEST fit for your children.
scarbowl

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 May 2013, 14:30:21 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Good international schools?  That all depends on your child.  A school good for one child could be  an awful fit for another.  You need to look at your OWN CHILDREN.  Will they do better in a smaller school environment? Are they sporty? Do they need lots of facilities?  Do they have a special need?  Which school is best FOR THEM.  There is NO SUCH THING as the BEST international school.  There are only schools with are the BEST fit for your children.
Quite agree. Can't understand the obsession on this board regarding this topic. You HAVE TO VISIT the schools and decide.
UWC_Mom
« Reply #35 on: 20 May 2013, 22:01:51 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

SMS - being a Brit and also a teacher who has worked in several national and international school systems, I understand exactly where you're coming from.  I used to be the same until I worked in a school in Europe that didn't teach reading or maths until Grade 1.  I was amazed to discover that the children not only learnt to read in one or two terms but their maths and literacy skills quickly overtook their counterparts in the UK system.  In Kindergarten they were taught correct pencil grip, fine motor skills, number sense (not sums).  In grade 1 they moved straight into cursive writing and their handwriting skills would put many a British child to shame. In maths they moved quickly onto quite complex arithmetic. The British system is flashy, in the sense that it's all show (at a very early age) and little substance.  If you look at the TIMMs or PISA results, the Singapore system beats the Brits with maths by a huge amount and British reading results are nothing to be boasting about.  Interestingly Finland, with a very relaxed education system comes out tops in several areas.  I know we are comparing UWC and the UK system here but I just wanted to point out that your bias towards early academic focus has been shown to be flawed when you look at international data.  It is actually far from proven. As to UWC being weak in the early years, they are moving away from PYP - they have announced this so it's no secret.  I think your point about the final result is valid.  Look at the end result of a UWC student who started in K1 - all those that I know that came right through have done exceptionally well academically so they must be doing something right.

Thanks, this has been helpful. My son's in K2 and he's been in UWC for the past two years. He still has awful spelling and handwriting as there truly isnt any emphasis on teaching both at this stage. As well, their mathematics seems too simple/repetitive to me. There are time when i've been sorely tempted to consider moving him to more traditional education system!

That being said, my son was sick for two weeks lately and I let him work on a Primary 1 Brain Quest workbook at home. He was able to answer everything perfectly well. In fact other than the awful handwriting, it was actually impressive to see him easily manage through all the topics from English, to Numeracy, to Social Sciences, to Sciences, etc. etc.

By the way, to the new movers, dont let UWC Admissions turn you off the school. Said another way, dont base your decision of which school to choose solely on your admissions experience. UWC definitely has a crummy, arrogant, unhelpful admissions office but the teachers and the other staff are all wonderful and down to earth.

For any school choice, the parents need to conduct a visit, speak with teachers, parents, children, read through websites, newsletters, and google. Thats the only way to find the best school for your child's personal needs.  Cheesy
jasmin
« Reply #36 on: 23 April 2014, 19:16:26 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

did you say ONE WORLD INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL as one of the BEST school???

NO its not!!
Teri
« Reply #37 on: 06 February 2016, 14:49:02 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

If you are moving to Singapore and want a friendly and loving school with an American curriculum (for when you return to the US) check out the International Community School, ICS website. The school is 23 years old and has over 450 students. This is also the only international Christian school on the island with 26 country's represented. Mandarin classes offered starting in the lower grades. High school offers AP courses. Grads go to top schools.
Moms have a great place to plug in with the very active PTF, Parent Teacher Fellowship. Truly a community feel with lots of happy kids! Check out the website and schedule a visit.
Chanr7

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11 March 2016, 18:37:40 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Dulwich College is a new British curriculum school opening in August 2014. We recently moved back to Singapore from Shanghai where our children attended Dulwith College Shanghai. it was a fantastic school and I would definitely recommend it. Before we moved to Shanghai our children attended UWC East Coast - Dulwich was way ahead on many fronts.

Hi,

We are moving to singapore this year and have the option between dulwich and uwc east coast - what are the big differences ? And in your opinion which one is a better place? Thanks a lot.
Pnina
« Reply #39 on: 24 October 2016, 11:34:40 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

How about GEMS Word Academy (Singapore)? They provides IB and IGCSE curriculum for Pre-K to Grade 12. Worth considering.
Americano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 18 November 2016, 19:04:55 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Canadian International School - is on the top of the rating, but I had  friends that were also choosing the school, so they stopped on  EtonHouse International Education Group and now they are happy with it.

they say, the school uses some modern techniques, according to which children do not only study the materials, but can  make choice themselves, a lot of practical classes.
ITSasia
« Reply #41 on: 09 January 2017, 14:35:55 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

For highly mobile family, I would recommend them to go for GEMS World Academy as they have 90 schools around the school. Easier for further transferring of school.

gwa.edu.sg
featured

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11 February 2017, 8:02:06 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

My kids are in grade 3 and 1 at the Canadian International School, Lakeside campus.  They love it.  The school is large and modern.  One key reason we chose the school was because of their bilingual program. All subjects are taught in one day completely in English, the next completely in Chinese.
Asian Expat

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 26 January 2018, 16:40:39 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

did you say ONE WORLD INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL as one of the BEST school???

NO its not!!

Hi! Picking this up from years ago. But now that OWIS opened its new Jurong West campus that we actually visited, we really liked it. They promise IB curriculum: improved IB-PYP and IB Diploma, and IGCSE. All teachers are qualified and experienced IB teachers. What sold us to the school is the clear way they are preparing students for a great IB education by capping only 30% per nationality so they really have this good mix needed to maximise the IB curriculum experience. They just opened this month and already they have over 500 students. I have no doubt they will reach their maximum 1,200 students capacity when they start academic year August 2018. My daughter will be placed in Early Childhood 2 (EC2) for the meantime and will enter their EC3 starting August. The fees are very reasonable considering the very high cost of international schools here in Singapore but the new campus has great infrastructure (they renovated/upgraded the former Pioneer Secondary School), state-of-the-art classrooms, lots of nature for kids to explore and huge field for outdoor sports. They do not have an olympic size swimming pool or kids pool but they told us they have a swimming programme and they take their students to nearby pool facilities such as NTU. I am not familiar with East campus but this new OWIS looks promising so we did not hesitate and placed our daughter there. Of course, the location is also very convenient for us.

Can you (or anyone reading this in 2018!) please elaborate why you do not consider it as one of the best international schools in Singapore? As someone working in education research, I too believe that good outcomes really rest in good teachers more so than full amenities. The school can also expose their students to an array of co-curricular activities etc by utilizing facilities available in the neighborhood; makes for good community awareness as well. I can always send my child for extra tuition to take gymnastics and the like (they have a dance studio so dance classes may be in the horizon). Anyway, some added activities in other schools also are not free. Btw, OWIS also offers a host of ECAs (paid and unpaid depending if taught by staff or vendors) that students can take after school. The campus has lots of potential for future developments as I see it.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2018, 10:09:57 AM by Asian Expat » Logged
best?
« Reply #44 on: 04 March 2018, 18:18:32 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hi

To reply to your post - I honestly don't think there is something as a Best international school, it all depends in what's right for your child.

However, OWIS is a new school and doesn't have any exam results to fall back on yet - which is why it isn't on the list of "Best" international schools.

I believe you just need to go with your gut. You like the school - then it's the best for you.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: