Skip to content

ExpatSingapore

Home Message Board Contact Us Search

ExpatSingapore Message Board 22 October 2017, 17:49:06 PM *
Username: Password: (or Register)

Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: What local foods should I avoid?  (Read 9130 times)
How hee Fatt
« on: 23 October 2014, 20:49:23 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I looooooooove the local food so far that I've eaten. But I've discovered that they can have some calamitous side effects?

There's this great pancake I have in the morning; Roti Prata with chicken curry. Great morning snack or late night after a beer or fifty.

But man oh man.... I can clear out an entire auditorium with just one long fart after that.

Chicken rice makes me burp a lot too.

Any foods to avoid?

Yummy
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2014, 6:16:15 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I suggest sticking with the prata and just avoid people for the next 6 hours
We can fatt
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2014, 20:52:01 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Man, there's a dish called "Oh Jiang" or "Oh Luak". Fantastic food! But you'll fart like crazy after that. It's basically oysters and omelettes.
connoisseur aka glut
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2014, 22:34:32 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

After your gastronomical adventures with delish Singapore local food, farts will actually be the least of your concerns when you return home and no longer have access to food paradiso.

However, if post- gluttony farting remains a high priority - stay away from the coconut based stuff (ANY kind of curries -  be it Peranakan-Chinese, Malay or Indian),  nasi padang Malay food stalls - rendangs and some sambals).

Some ideas, offhand:
Prata, without the curry? (but what's the point?!)

Hae-mee (soupy prawn noodles with heavenly seafood soup stock. normally comes topped with prawns and pork ribs) should be safe.

Beef Noodles

(Lor-ar) Duck Rice should be a safe bet since it has none of the pungent flavouring in Chinese rice

Wonton/Char-siu/Roast pork/Roast duck/plain chicken noodles (a different version from the bland cousins in Western Chinatowns).

Rojak (Singapore's local version of 'salad' with a pungent seafood twist

Kaya Toast (nevermind that has coconut too). How about Otak toast?

Healthy but not so exciting Yong Tau Foo (various self-selections including fish balls/fish cake in soup) ... and fish porridge.

Make a list
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2014, 23:29:13 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Indian fishhead curry will leave your stomach in turmoil ..
Then there is Indian rojak which left one dead in the past due to food poisoning

Try the Malay stalls .. nasi lemak (coconut rice with fried fish, egg, chicken wing, anchovies, cucumber, otah and sambal, mee rebus (yellow noodles in spicy beef gravy, mee siam (rice vermicelli in spicy, sour gravy), satay, lontong, nasi padang (saffron rice with meat curry), mutton soup ..

Then there is fried carrot cake, laksa, wonton noodles, char kway teow, kway chap, hokkien mee, prawn mee, minced meat dry noodles, pig innards with salted mustard greens soup, popiah, satay beehoon, bbq stingray, beef noodles, turtle soup, vegetarian beehoon, century egg congee, teochew porridge  ...

Suggest you visit Chomp Chomp food centre (after 6pm) and Serangoon gardens market food centre to try them all ... More authentic than Newton ..plus no 'carrothead chopping' (gross overcharging).

It's hairy crab season .. so go try some too.
torquemada

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2014, 10:17:29 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Most of the food cooked in those "food courts" are basically drenched in palm oil. Because of the high cost of living, most  stalls will cook with cheap ingredients.  Avoid these places like ebola.
Ring of Fire
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2014, 17:07:01 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I llllllloooooooooooooove eating the Rahmen noodles with HEAPS of chilli powder. Also Southern Indian foods, which I love, tends to have a concoction of spices that could burn the bum of a rhinoceros. Northern Indian food is for wimps and Northern Indians of course.
wersternerz
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2014, 22:44:36 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You cant beat a good curry from little India or newton circus.  It sure cleans the pipes out.
connoiseur aka glut
« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2014, 0:35:42 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

It sure cleans the pipes out.

Farting is good for you, releases those bottled up toxins.
It's a gas, gas, gas
« Reply #9 on: 06 November 2014, 18:03:41 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I love eating roti prata and curry whether it's morning or night. I love the smell of my own farts. I drive my own car and have an office of my own so it bothers no one else. They're rich ones too! Cheesy
Economy rice
« Reply #10 on: 26 December 2014, 20:47:34 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

You'll find in most of the food courts that there's a stall inevitably run by Chinese akin to the Malay Nasi Padang stalls.

The Chinese usually call themselves "Economy Rice" which I gather is a crude translation of eating on a budget. If you eat the white rice with their sino-ized version of chicken curry - heaven help us all!

I'm talking like if I let a juicy one loose - skunks near me would get high! But nothing beats driving home in your car, windows wound up and leting go of a rip-roarer! Cheesy
glut
« Reply #11 on: 27 December 2014, 6:07:27 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

But nothing beats driving home in your car, windows wound up and leting go of a rip-roarer! Cheesy

Eewww ... the aftermath in the poor car.  

Agree with the Economy Rice. It varies from stall to stall, but there are loads of delish choices if you're willing to experiment.

Maybe this also falls similarly within 'Economy Rice'  - Teochew porridge stalls have interesting varieties as well, with focus on stewed offerings in soya sauce (duck, pork, beancurd, tofu),

There's a Cantonese version of sashimi salad and that's raw fish with dribbles of fragrant sesame oil, with a sprinkle of sesame seeds on top.

chiongkakis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 09 February 2015, 12:28:32 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

haha i would say durians and their post makan blurp or fart  Tongue

Durians??
« Reply #13 on: 01 November 2015, 21:52:29 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

Man! Durians?! Dude seriously?! It takes a brave soul to eat durians. But I will confess this - I have eaten them and LOOOOOOOOVE them!
oldmike
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 November 2015, 1:01:58 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

you have excellent taste, PP
Pages: [1] 2
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to: